Defer/Delay Entry of a Discharge or Closing of Case
MOTION TO DEFER/DELAY ENTRY OF A DISCHARGE or CLOSING OF CASE
A motion to defer/delay entry of discharge is filed when the debtor or other party wishes to request that the court delay the entry of the debtor’s discharge for various purposes, most commonly for the purposes of obtaining additional time to file Official Form 23 (Debtor’s Certification of Completion of Instructional Course Concerning Personal Financial Management). It may also be filed when any party of interest has filed or is in the process of filing one or more of the following documents.
• complaint objecting to discharge
• motion to dismiss the case under 11 U.S.C. Section 707
• motion to extend time for filing a complaint objecting to discharge
• motion to extend time for filing a motion to dismiss the case under FRBP 1017(e)
• financial management certificate
• reaffirmation agreement
The filing should be accompanied by the Motion, Proposed Order, and Certificate of Service.
For order format, please see Proposed Orders
Motions/Application/Contested Matters, Delay Case Closing
Motions/Application/Contested Matters, Delay Discharge